$10.9 Million Jury Verdict for Man Burned in Home Explosion

Chicago-based burn injury lawyers, Passen Law Group, recently secured a $10.9 million jury verdict for a man who sustained severe burn injuries after an explosion in his home in Bensenville, Illinois.  The man, Andrzej Plizga, was using a solvent-based concrete sealer to seal his home’s basement floor when the sealer’s vapors were ignited by the pilot light of his home’s water heater, causing a large flash fire explosion.  Mr. Plizga sustained second and third-degree burns to approximately 65% of his body.

Mr. Plizga and his attorneys, Stephen and Matthew Passen, sued Euclid Chemical Company, the manufacturer of the concrete sealer, for strict product liability arguing that the product was “unreasonably dangerous” in its design.  Specifically, Plizga and his attorneys argued that the sealer was designed too flammable and explosive for indoor, household use, and also that the warnings were inadequate and in violation of The Federal Hazardous Substances Act.

Euclid argued that Mr. Plizga was at fault for not following the warnings on the label, which stated to “keep away from ignition sources” and “vapors may cause flash fire.”  Furthermore, they argued he was at fault for not reading the Material Safety Data Sheet as instructed on the product label, which contained additional warnings.

Before trial, the defense offered $230,00 to settle the action.  At the end of the three-week trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of Mr. Plizga and his wife for $10.9 million.

For a free consultation with one of our national burn injury lawyers, call us toll free at 866-293-2615 or call our Chicago office at 312-527-4500.